Friday, 18 April 2014

Crochet Cushion Covers

So here's something else I've been up to in my blogging haitus.

Crochet cushion covers

The spare bedroom was decorated pretty soon after we moved in (you can see why in this pin that I added from the estate agents website). We weren't very adventurous and just went for magnolia so I was determined to make the spare room seem cosy via the soft furnishings, especially as one wall is taken up with book cases mainly fully of football programmes.

So with chocolate coloured curtains, and a duvet and pillow cover set from Ikea in neutral colours with a hint of turquoise I wanted to make some handmade crochet cushions to finish off the room.

I looked and looked and looked on Pinterest and Ravelry for a crochet pattern but nothing seemed to fit what I wanted. Eventually I found a picture that inspired me, but I didn't want to just use a plain crochet stitch so I used a pattern I just love from Crochet Today! magazine a couple of years ago (Ravelry link) - see how I used this pattern to create a baby blanket on my blog.

Obviously this project being cushion covers I didn't follow the whole pattern and just crocheted enough rounds to fit the cushions.

I measured some old cushions I had lying around - they were about 42cm x 42cm. I used offcuts from a pair of Ikea curtains I put up in the last place I rented and cut a piece of fabric about 45 cm wide and about 100 cm long (depending on whether there was an end that was already hemmed).

I pinned the hems as required on the two shorter ends and then folded lengthways to create an overlap of about 5 cm or so between the two shorter ends making sure the total size taking was about 42cm.

I then pinned the sides and started stitching. In this case I stitched everything by hand, mostly because I'm a fairly competent hand stitcher but also my sewing machine isn't really permanently set up so it's a bit of a faff to get it out to use on something as simple as a cushion.

Once I'd made the fabric cover I measured the crocheted piece and added any rows of single crochet to make it to the correct size. I then pinned and stitched the crocheted piece to the fabric cover.

Crochet cushion cover detail




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...